Sunday, September 15, 2013

Take Care of My Sons.

In order to tell this week's story I have to tell you a little about me.  

I work in a hospital, and so last Thursday I was heading back upstairs after lunch and I saw the Zone  Leaders in the lobby. (I knew that Elder M from Houston might be having surgery, so I was kind of watching out for him.) It was still a surprise to see all these missionaries, so I went to talk to the Zone Leader and found out that Elder M was going to have surgery in just about an hour. The funny part is that I got a text from Elder M's mother right after that with the same information.  I got off work about 3:30 and then went up to the waiting room and I got to see a bit of what a parent feels while waiting for their child in surgery.  I tell you it's a bit stressful.  Just before Elder M went in to surgery I saw His surgeon and told him that he had better take good care of Elder M. I got a kind of funny look from the doctor but afterward i explained that Elder M was one of my elders.  

While I was waiting for the surgery to be done I had a great opportunity to visit with the "mission mom" - the mission president's wife.  She is a great lady and is very concerned about her missionaries.  She is from Idaho and just a very caring person. Well the surgery went well and I was able to text his mom with updates for when he went in and when he got out of surgery. I even included a couple pictures.  She was very grateful.  The one bad part was when I put my phone back in my pocket it actually called Elder M's mom, well it's just not fair to talk to an elder's mom without letting them talk, so I just quickly hung up.  I can't imagine how stressful it was for her to get a call.  She probably thought the worst was happening, but I do know that the surgeon called her and let her know that the surgery went well.  I overheard the first part of the call and he called her Sister M....  How very cool to have a surgeon show so much respect for a missionary and his mother.

I guess I should tell you how I knew that Elder M was having surgery. Monday is p-day for the mission and so this past Monday the missionaries in the district came over about noon for my birthday.  That's where Elder M told me about his surgery.  It touches my heart to think that these awesome young men would sacrifice a part of their free time to spend with me.  They word hard for six and a half days a week and p-day starts with personal and companion study until 10:00 am then they clean the apartment do laundry and shopping etc and then p-day ends at 5 or 6 pm and it's back to missionary work.  I feel totally honored to have them as friends.  Elder T from Arizona just took over with cooking hamburgers and getting other things done.  I really like that young man.  I feel like these are the sons that I didn't have.

So that's how this week went. 

The Gospel is true. God Loves YOU.  Please do all you can to help your missionaries in any way you can, but especially with finding people to teach.  YOU need to be a part of the missionary process or they just won't be very successful.

Pray for our missionaries  everywhere and search for your own missionary opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment